Thursday, December 16, 2010

What Do You Do on the Toilet?

     I just got back from the bathroom. Take a moment to get past the image and let's move on.

...

Almost ready?

...

Okay. Welcome back.
I can't sit on the toilet for more than three seconds without feeling bored. I always bring my phone or a book I'm reading. If I forget either of those two things, I'll find myself dabbling into things I would never do otherwise. I'll maybe pick up a People magazine and see what the Kardashians are up to. Or I'll clean out my wallet. I've even found myself brushing my teeth on the toilet just to save time. I just can't seem to sit there doing nothing ... well not nothing, but you know.
The point I'm making is that I think I've become addicted to entertainment. If I can't even handle sitting on the toilet for two minutes without being entertained, I think that is a sign of a problem. How did this happen, I've asked myself. I used to be able to sit places without having things to do. And what about the rest of us? What did people do on the toilet before games on our phones, books, magazines, wallets to clean out, etc? Did they just sit there? I wish I could do that. I want to be able to do that. I hate being addicted to anything. From now on, I will begin the process of breaking this addiction. And I'm going to start on the toilet. I will no longer feed my addiction by keeping myself entertained while I am doing my business. Maybe one day I won't need to use stumbleupon on my phone while I watch TV. Then maybe I won't need to watch 30 Rock episodes on my computer while I eat my lunch at my desk. Maybe I'll just enjoy those things without having to over-entertain myself.
I challenge you all to do the same. Let's break the addiction!!

2 comments: